Friday, April 15, 2016

Critical Reflection on SEM2902

Interpersonal and Work Communication, this course has helped me to improve my oral presentation, my communication skill and my writing skill

Initially, i was not aware that communication involves different concepts and applications that helped me in communication. Communication is the act of transferring information from one place to another. Although this is a simple definition, if i were to think about how two people may communicate the subject becomes more complex. There are different categories of communication and the ones that we learned in class were verbal and non-verbal communication. Verbal communication refer any exchange of words through to face-to-face, telephone, radio and other media while non-verbal communication refer to body languages, gestures and how we dress or act. I learnt that non-verbal communication is important based on first-impression . One example would be a interview. I remembered that we had a class activity where Jia Sheng and I were interviewers and Marcus was the interviewee. As a interviewer, i realized that Marcus did not give me a good first impression as he was not dressed for the occasion and he did not greet us before he sat down. I felt that I would not want to hire him. Hence, through this experience, i realized that non-verbal communication is important to set a good impersonation on someone.

We did our presentation on week 13 of this course. I made mistakes such as, too much speech pauses, example such as "um, like" which is very bad reflection of my capability as a speaker. Moreover, I felt that, during my presentation, i rely too much on my notes, it shows poor management of my speech. Hence, from the advice of my teacher, Brad, and my classmates, I know where are my weakness and I will further strengthen it.

One last improvement/feedback that i would take back from this course is my writing skill. Even though, i passed my 'O' level english exam, i always felt that english was my weakest subject.
During my three years of diploma education, gradually, I did not attempt to improve my writing skills. Eventually, through the module, I felt the need to improve my writing skills as my blog post consist of numerous broken sentence structures and grammatical errors. Hence, with the feedback by Brad, i was able to spot the more apparent mistakes that i made and i will further improve on it.







1 comment:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks very much for this reflection, Mei. I really appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to think back over the module so as to reflect on your learning. I'm happy that you have been able to find so much about the course valuable for your learning. It also warms my heart that you found the feedback that your peers and I gave you useful. Hopefully, your study in SEM2902 will continue to be of use as you further your education.

For now, I want to wish you all the best as you continue your learning journey!